Who is sitting at your table?
1 Everybody has got a Shepherd. Money fame power qualification. Who is your Shepherd?
2 YOU CAN’T HAVE 23 WITHOUT 22!!
3 He makes – ( Luke 15 – Give me- Make me – NIV 84 )
4 He leads – in a world of rampant individualism and huge anti authority sentiments.
5 He restores
6 He comforts – I don’t need a rod and staff to protect myself because my Shepherd will
protect me – If I’m overlooked,sidelined,maligned etc
7 He blesses – He anoints my head with oil
8 He follows – I follow the Shepherd – goodness and love follow me.
Prepares a table before me – he doesn’t remove my enemies from me.
Story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego – he meets them in the fire – doesn’t rescue them
from the fire.
Hebrews 5 – Although He was a Son He learnt obedience from what He suffered and became
the source of eternal encouragement. Your suffering is producing a source that will bless many
Assumption of Helicopter Christianity – God will rescue me from my trial as opposed to God will
rescue me in my trial!!
How does the enemy work?
1) He lies – John 8-When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the
father of lies. The NIV says when he lies he speaks his native language.
2) He roars -1 Peter 5 -8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls
around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith,
knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood
throughout the world. 2
3) He accuses –Revelation 12 -for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who
accuses them day and night before our God. 3
4) He uses tactics like frustration, fear, discouragement, ridicule, guilt ,shame, division –
Ezra 3 and Nehemiah 4 and 6.
Who sits at the table?
1) You and THE SHEPHERD – Look at John 10 vs (10 and 11.)- 10 The thief comes only to
steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am
the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.4
2) Acts 6 – men and women of faith. Be very careful in an unbelievable negative sentiment
in our nation of who sits at your table.
What is the meal?
1) The will of God – Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” 32 But he
said to them, “I have food to eat that you do not know about.” 33 So the disciples said to
one another, “Has anyone brought him something to eat?” 34 Jesus said to them, “My food
is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. 5
2) The provision of God – seven saying of Christ on the Cross
• Father forgive them
• Today you will be with me in paradise
• Mother your son, son your mother
• I am thirsty
• It is finished
• My God my God why have you forsaken me
• Father into your hands I commit my Spirit
3) The word of God (Colossians 1 qualified vs unqualified or disqualified)
Conclusion – Who is sitting at your table?
1) John 10 says He is the Good Shepherd
2) Hebrews 13 says He is the Great Shepherd
3) 1 Peter 5 says He is the Chief Shepherd
The question we ask then – is He your Shepherd? Then believe the promises of Psalm 23 and I
trust the lying , roaring , accusing voices will be silenced as we sit at the table of our Shepherd.
Who is sitting at your table?